blindgamer102 @blindgamer102 / Blind Gamer Misadventures @BGMisadventures / Blind Havok 87 @blindhavok87 / Brandon Cole @superblindman / Carlos Vasquez @OBSKHRattlehead / Chris Wright @slannon97 / IllegallySighted @BGFH79 / Jonathan Nadeau / Liam Erven @Liamerven / Ross Minor @ross_minor / Sarah Alawami / Sightless Kombat @sightlessKombat / SightlessPlayer @Sightlessplayer / SightlessSenshi @Sightlessplayer / Skizzle the Wicked @left_eye_blind1 / Steve Saylor @stevesaylor / TheKephas @TheKephas / tj the blind gamer @Tjpunk981 / Tomasz Tworek @lirin111 / White Cane Gamer @WhiteCaneGamer
Accessibility Researchers & Consultants
AbleGamers Player Panels
AbleGamers Player Panels is a community of players with disabilities who are connected with game companies and other organizations to test games and participate in research and development.
The Accessibility User Research Collective
The Shepherd Center and Microsoft formed the Accessibility User Research Collective (AURC) to engage people with disabilities to help improve the accessibility and usability Microsoft products.
SightlessKombat is a consultant for blind accessibility in games. He wrote about this topic for his fellowship with the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust and has spoken at international and internal conferences.
Brandon Cole seeks to bridge the understanding of accessibility between developers and gamers alike through his consultancy work, blog, game streaming, and conference speeches.
Jesse Anderson is a technology and game accessibility consultant. He focuses on game accessibility for PC, console, VR and iOS games – as well as VR hardware and iOS apps – for blind and low vision users.
Steve Saylor is a blind video gamer with a passion for creating great content and consulting with developers to improve accessibility for disabled users.
Game Accessibility Conference
- Playing Mainstream Video Games Without Sight by SightlessKombat
- I Made My Game Blind Accessible – You Won’t Believe What Happened Next… by Michelle Martin
- Gaming Without Sight: We Wanna Play Too by Brandon Cole
- Breaking the Sound Barrier: How Game Audio Can Improve Accessibility by Adriane Kuzminski
Game Developers Conference
- Game Accessibility: Practical Visual Fixes from EA’s Madden NFL Franchise by Karen Stevens
- Audio-Driven Game Design by Per Anders Östblad and Henrik Engstrom
- Overwatch – The Elusive Goal: Play by Sound by Scott Lawlor and Tomas Neumann
- No More Excuses, Your Guide to Accessible Design by Tara Voelker
- Building a Manifesto for Game Accessibility by Thomas Westin, Ian Hamilton, Tara Voelker, and Richard van Tol
- Let’s Talk about Blind Accessibility – Adriane Kuzminski @ NYCGA April ’19
- Audio in Accessible Gaming – Drew Becker @ AudioBash Summer ’18
- Interacting with Sound: Creating Accessible, Engaging Gameplay – Adriane Kuzminski @ MIGS ’19
- Gaming Without Aiming – Liam Erven @ Gamer Grace ’17
- Killer Instinct – A Postmortem on Accessibility – Zachary Quarles @ Casual Connect USA ’17
- UI Sound Design: The Small Sounds That Make A Big Difference
– Henry Daw @ TNW Conference ’17
- Audio in Overwatch – Scott Lawlor and Tomas Neumann @ Wwise Tour ’16
- Designing for Gamers with Disabilities – Ian Hamilton @ PG Connects ’15
- The Last of Us Part II by Naughty Dog
- Swamp by Jeremy Kaldobsky
- Skullgirls by Lab Zero Games
- Injustice: Gods Among Us, Injustice 2, Mortal Kombat X by NetherRealm
- Killer Instinct by Microsoft Studios and Double Helix Games
- Earplay stories for Alexa and Codename Cygnus by Earplay Inc.
- Frequency Missing by Per Anders Ösblad and the University of Skvøde
- Blindscape by Gavin Brown
- Grail to the Thief by For All To Play
- Madden NFL 20 by EA Sports
- King of Dragon Pass by A Sharp
- Choice of Robots (along with 60+ text games) by Choice of Games
- A Hero’s Call by Out of Sight Games
- StarTraders RPG by Trese Brothers
- Entombed by Driftwood Audio
- A Blind Legend by Dowino Studios